The Healing Foot Wash camp has received Placement for 2015 at 5:30 & B. This is very close to Center Camp and should be a high traffic area. Feel free to drop by and wash some feet! 🙂
Category Archives: News
2015 Burning Man Individual Sale ticket registration is now open
Thinking about going to Burning Man this year? If so, NOW is the time to register for a free Burner Profile (https://profiles.burningman.com) in order to participate in the Individual ticket sale. Having a Profile setup isn’t a guarantee you’ll get a ticket, but it is a pre-requirement. If you’re thinking of buying a ticket, you’ll want to head straight over to the Burning Man Ticketing page now: http://tickets.burningman.org and read carefully the details, rules and deadlines.
The Healing Foot Wash camp this year has a vital core of folks who love and practice Christian Science, and it welcomes people of any faith who would love joining in this joyous service. If you’d like to learn more please visit http://healingfootwash.org.
If you’d like info about the ongoing “CS@Burning Man” efforts, please visit their Facebook page.
Final preparations for our trip [Photos] – Leaving this Friday / Saturday for Burning Man 2014!
We had a great work party last weekend with participants coming by the Berkeley CSO on both Saturday and Sunday. Our packing and organization is much better this year. A big THANK YOU of gratitude to all who have helped us get to Burning Man this year.
Here are some pictures of our recent preparations as we get ready to leave:
Photos by Gabriel and Mist-er.
Radical Self-expression and the 5th Commandment
As Burning Man approaches I’ve been fielding questions perhaps not unlike those you’ve been asked – or are asking.
“Why would you want to hang out with a bunch of naked hippies?” (If you saw my flower-power RV you might believe I’m halfway to being a naked hippie myself.)
And, “You can tell me…it’s your husband who’s more interested in Burning Man, isn’t it?” as the questioner attempts to reconcile what they know of me with what they’ve heard of Burning Man. The nudity! The promiscuity! The drug use!
As Christian Scientists, we understand that regardless of where we are – at the grocery store, our favorite lunch spot, a nightclub, church or an art festival in the middle of nowhere – our environment is as pure – or as impure – as our consciousness.
Burning Man is many things to many people. From my experience it is a very holy environment, one in which the surface judgments of society are abandoned and people feel free to be their most true self. Is it any wonder that this often finds expression in a literal shedding of that which defines our socioeconomic and professional status? I remember a couple days into my first experience at Burning Man, or “on the playa,” when I saw a man whom I immediately recognized as not fitting in somehow. It took me a few moments to realize what was different about him – it wasn’t that he was dressed, it was that he was wearing khakis and a polo shirt! This contrasted starkly with the flamboyantly costumed people surrounding both of us (and yes, some nudity). Based on my conversations, the motive of the folks who choose to be nude or partially clothed stems not from any type of sensuous thinking or blatant sexuality but is an expression of personal freedom.
We participants of the Christian Science Camp are making a conscious choice to be clothed, not only in our right minds, but in modest clothing or costumes, although there will surely be concessions to the weather that may perhaps flaunt societal norms; some men enjoy the comfort of a sarong or kilt, for example.
The metaphysical committee has been at work spiritualizing its understanding of the Burning Man Principle of Radical Self-expression and the Commandment to Honour thy father and thy mother. While nakedness, with its focus on the material body, qualifies as a lower form of self-expression, does it not point to a precious yearning for freedom from matter? True freedom and the most radical of all “self-expression” is found in honoring our Father-Mother God as our Creator and our alone Life, the very Source of our pure expression of Love. With the consciousness of Christ, the purity of our environment is constant, assured and unassailable.
Please join us in spiritualizing the Commandment “Thou shalt not kill,” and the Burning Man Principle of Communal Effort, defined as follows: “Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.”
Christian Science Camp at Burning Man 2014 Lecture & Service Schedule
Here’s a quick breakdown of our schedule, to help out all of you who are volunteering for a prayer watch. Thank you!!
Fri Aug 22 – lead team heads to playa
Sun Aug 24 late – rest of team arrives
Mon Aug 25 – festival begins – foot washing Mon-Sat 9a-7p at Healing Foot Wash: Life, Truth, Love camp
Wed Aug 27 11:15 AM – “Discover your spiritual identity” — talk by John Tyler, CSB, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at Sacred Spaces Village (4&Gold)
Wed Aug 27 7:00 PM – gratitude sharing service at Healing Foot Wash: Life, Truth, Love camp (I&9:15)
Thu Aug 28 10:15 AM – “Beyond the sixth sense” — talk by John Tyler at Sacred Spaces Village (4&Gold)
Fri Aug 29 9:00 AM – “Conflict Resolution: a spiritual approach” — talk by John T at Center Camp
Sun Aug 31 sunrise – church service in the Temple of Grace
Mon Sept 1 – exodus back to Reno and beyond
All times are Pacific Standard Time. Thank you for your support.
Burning Man by the Numbers
We invite you to join us on the playa in spirit through your prayerful and financial help. Here’s a quick breakdown of Burning Man 2014 by the (approximate) numbers:
- 8 days – August 25 to September 1
- 68,000 people
- 120 miles north of Reno, Nevada, USA
- 7 square miles of playa (fine-powdered alkaline desert; about equivalent in size to downtown San Francisco; BLM land that transforms from barren desert to “Black Rock City” and back once a year)
- 1,000+ Porta-Potties
- 1 Center Camp where you can purchase ice, coffee and hot cocoa; ice is also available at two other locations; no other commerce is allowed, period.
- 1,000s of theme camps – from Aloha Camp (island vibes, Aloha spirit and Hawaiian culture) to ZAP! (a giant lightning bolt striking the playa).
- 15+ on-playa participants
- 15+ pairs of goggles and dust masks
- 15+ bicycles
- 1 gallon of water per person per day for drinking + food
- 1 playa kitchen organized by our fabulous kitchen team and staffed by each participant in turn
- 1 evapotron shower system
- 497 baby wipes 😉
- 10+ foot washing stations
- 2000 feet washed (goal, up from 400 feet last year)
- 1/2 C water + vinegar per foot wash
- 3 lectures by John Tyler, CSB, a member of the Christian Science Board of Lectureship
- 2 church services – Wednesday at camp; Sunday in the Temple of Grace
- as-yet uncounted number of used Bibles, Science and Healths, MyBibleLessons, Quarterlies, Sentinels, etc., for gifting
- ++ Prayer Watch volunteers – PLEASE PRAY WITH US! <–sign up for a watch
- 1/2 of needed funds have been raised – every donation counts! Our participants have purchased their own $380 tickets, and paid for travel and food. However, we have lecture**, truck rental and a some miscellaneous expense to cover.
Thank you for joining us in spirit through your prayers and donations. It is never too late, nor too little. This camp belongs to everyone who wants to share their love of Christian Science with the world. We appreciate your support and promise to share our experiences with you when we return!
*according to a search for the terms “foot” and “feet” in the theme camp list
**lecture expenses include tickets, travel and food for our lecturer and spouse
Agenda for Sunday 7/27/14 – 5pm CS@Burning Man Conference Call
I know it must feel like it was just yesterday that we had our last conference call, and we have another important one coming up on Sunday. If you’ve been missing these and can be on the next few calls that would be great… it really helps the team feel cohesive when we’re all participating!
Access code: 1246521
** Agenda for 7/27/14 **
** Metaphysical inspiration **
** Fundraising update **
– Funds received to date
– Reimbursement request process & expectations (Name, Description, Amount, receipt)
** Tickets update **
– Has anyone not received their tickets yet (that aren’t at Will Call)?
– Who is still looking for tickets / steps we can take as a group to support
** Communications update **
– Everyone please submit recent picture + short bio for Participants page on site
– Banner artwork for camp entrance
– Playa cards artwork for handing out
** Foot washing **
– Be prepared to wash 1,000 people’s feet this year (~5x last year)
– More stations, be thinking through sustainable process, how we encourage visitors to participate as washers and in our camp. We may be playing much more of a “host” role this year, encouraging volunteers to stick around
– At ~1/2 cup per person, 1000 = 500 cups = ~32 gallons total of water for foot washing
** Official Burning Man Survival Guide **
– How many people have read this year’s version completely?
– This is REQUIRED READING for ALL camp participants. Please do this sooner rather than later. Online version: http://survival.burningman.com, you should have also gotten a copy with your tickets if they’re delivered.
** Metaphysical Support **
– Everyone please spend some time metaphysically supporting this camp, and each of our individual participants
– Some are still looking for tickets, some are financially tight, let’s focus on knowing our true and full supply
– Final camp arrangements are still happening, we have an assigned general location, let’s also pray to know that our specific location and neighbors will be harmonious, beneficial
** Next Meeting Reminder **
– Sunday 8/3/14, 5pm, normal conference call number
– Next two weekends after that will be work at the CSO weekends, PLEASE put this on your calendars
Wanna help? Here’s how!
There are two main ways the Christian Science camp at Burning Man especially needs your help. One is financial donations. Please see https://spiritualplaya.org/donate/ for the mailing address to send a check and for a link to donate online. Thank you!
The other way is to pray, pray, pray! We have a prayer watch sign up calendar here: http://doodle.com/hpecc4kux5qf9tb2. Simply fill in your name and click on the two-hour watches you’d like to take, using the scroll bar at the bottom of the page to move through the dates. Then, scroll all the way to the end of the dates and click “save” to be added to the list. Be sure to mark your calendar!
We appreciate YOU and all your help and prayers!
If all who seek his commemoration through material symbols will take up the cross, heal the sick, cast out evils, and preach Christ, or Truth, to the poor, — the receptive thought, — they will bring in the millennium. – “Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures,” by Mary Baker Eddy
Notes from tonight’s Christian Science at Burning Man group planning call
Nice call tonight! We’re getting into the fun planning details now. Please review the 3 items below, you may have a TO-DO item or two.
New time for our calls:
Starting next week (7/13/14) we will be moving to 5pm Pacific for our group planning conference calls. We will also be moving to a weekly call schedule, so please please mark this on your calendar and set a reminder for yourself. It is very helpful to have everyone on each call going forward so we don’t have to follow up with individuals as we’re planning final logistics.
Kitchen Contributions due by 7/15/2014
In the next week (i.e. as soon as possible), for all confirmed ticket-holders, please send a check payment for $100, made out to Amanda. This will go directly towards our food purchases for the week we’ll be camping together. We will track these contributions, and if we happen to get sufficient external donations to fully fund everything including our food costs, we should be able to refund this back (although please do not count on this happening, it’s a big MAYBE). John & Michelle’s food costs will be covered by the group.
TO-DO for Everyone: Please: 1) Send the Kitchen Contribution payment in by 7/15 and 2) Send an email to Amanda confirming you’ve sent the payment. Her direct email address is email@example.com.
We started to get a count of how people are expecting to travel to Burning Man. We still need information for the following people who were not on the call tonight:
John & Michelle Tyler
Your TO-DO: If you were not on the call tonight (i.e. your name is on the list above), please reply to this email with your expected transportation option from the options below:
Berkeley Group 1: (Assuming we receive Placement) – Will leave late Thursday evening or early Friday morning (8/21 or 8/22) and will transport all major camp supplies, material and setup tools, to arrive at Burning Man sometime Friday. This group will build out the camp and claim our assigned location.
Berkeley Group 2: Will leave Berkeley Saturday 8/23 and stay with Reno church families Saturday night, go to church Sunday morning and then head for Burning Man afterwards. If we do NOT receive Placement for our camp, Group 1 will be combined with Group 2.
Other / Self Transportation: Options include: Burner Bus, taking your own vehicle (we have plenty of Vehicle Passes so that will not be a problem), getting a ride with someone else. Specify which of these you’ll be going with so we make sure everyone is covered.
Thanks again everyone, and looking forward to our next call:
5pm Pacific time, 7/13/14
Access code: 1246521
June 2014 Letter to our Church Friends
Greetings friends! This is the postcard and letter we sent out to many churches and friends recently. If you know anyone who might appreciate seeing this, please feel free to share this with them! There are less than 2 months until Burning Man happens and things are really starting to to come together! Thanks again to everyone on the team who has been contributing so that everything get done that needs to get done!
Dear Church friends,
We all love to share “a cup of cold water”, the profoundly good news of Christian Science, with receptive hearts. The purpose of this letter is to acquaint you with how a group of us has been doing that at an unusual venue, and invite your prayerful and financial support as we continue this year. We appreciate your sharing this letter as widely as you can, posting it if possible, along with the card.
The event is Burning Man 2014, a temporary city of over 60,000 who meet for a week in the Nevada desert to share art, music, a gift-based economy, and free thinking. For a number of years, a few students of Christian Science have been a part of this community, sharing the good news of Christian Science healing. This blossomed into a somewhat larger group giving Christian Science lectures in 2012 and again in 2013 to some wide-open listeners.
Our informal group of Christian Scientists will be bringing John Tyler, CSB, a member of the Christian Science Board of Lectureship, to interested and hungering hearts this year. In addition to supporting the lectures, the group will be washing feet again (a very well-received gift offered last year), giving away copies of the Bible and Science and Health, and offering prayer or Christian Science treatment to any who request it.
Though the group participating in the desert is not large, the positive impact of sharing the Comforter is huge! Support by all who love the good it can accomplish is invaluable, and we invite you to join us in this. Here are three specific areas we welcome your participation:
- Please join us in prayer in support of our time there from August 24 – September 1 2014: prayer that sees man as whole, pure, good, including all coming to Burning Man. We would appreciate prayer now as well, as we prepare.
- Send us books to give away! We’re looking for loved, used copies of Science
and Health and the Bible to give away as gifts at our camp. Written in or underlined is OK. Books may be sent to Christian Science at Burning Man, Care of First Church of Christ, Scientist, 795 West Peckham Ln., Reno, NV 89509.
- Give financial support. Lecture fees, vehicle rentals, gas, and food are some of
the expenses that will be covered by donations from individuals and churches. Thank you in advance! Checks may be made payable to “Cal Berkeley CSO” with a memo line of “Burning Man”, sent to Christian Science Organization, 2601 Durant Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94704. Any amount is appreciated.
You can find more information, videos of the Burning Man lectures, pictures, links to articles, and may donate online via PayPal here: https://spiritualplaya.org/donate/.
Thank you for your interest, prayers and support!
The Christian Science at Burning Man team
Download PDF: 2014 Letter to churches
You must be logged in to post a comment.