We invite you to join us on the playa in spirit through your prayerful and financial help. Here’s a quick breakdown of Burning Man 2014 by the (approximate) numbers:
- 8 days – August 25 to September 1
- 68,000 people
- 120 miles north of Reno, Nevada, USA
- 7 square miles of playa (fine-powdered alkaline desert; about equivalent in size to downtown San Francisco; BLM land that transforms from barren desert to “Black Rock City” and back once a year)
- 1,000+ Porta-Potties
- 1 Center Camp where you can purchase ice, coffee and hot cocoa; ice is also available at two other locations; no other commerce is allowed, period.
- 1,000s of theme camps – from Aloha Camp (island vibes, Aloha spirit and Hawaiian culture) to ZAP! (a giant lightning bolt striking the playa).
- 15+ on-playa participants
- 15+ pairs of goggles and dust masks
- 15+ bicycles
- 1 gallon of water per person per day for drinking + food
- 1 playa kitchen organized by our fabulous kitchen team and staffed by each participant in turn
- 1 evapotron shower system
- 497 baby wipes 😉
- 10+ foot washing stations
- 2000 feet washed (goal, up from 400 feet last year)
- 1/2 C water + vinegar per foot wash
- 3 lectures by John Tyler, CSB, a member of the Christian Science Board of Lectureship
- 2 church services – Wednesday at camp; Sunday in the Temple of Grace
- as-yet uncounted number of used Bibles, Science and Healths, MyBibleLessons, Quarterlies, Sentinels, etc., for gifting
- ++ Prayer Watch volunteers – PLEASE PRAY WITH US! <–sign up for a watch
- 1/2 of needed funds have been raised – every donation counts! Our participants have purchased their own $380 tickets, and paid for travel and food. However, we have lecture**, truck rental and a some miscellaneous expense to cover.
Thank you for joining us in spirit through your prayers and donations. It is never too late, nor too little. This camp belongs to everyone who wants to share their love of Christian Science with the world. We appreciate your support and promise to share our experiences with you when we return!
*according to a search for the terms “foot” and “feet” in the theme camp list
**lecture expenses include tickets, travel and food for our lecturer and spouse
You must log in to post a comment.